Monday, December 31, 2007

Thoughts on the New Year


As I sit here alone at the computer (yes, everyone is gone!), I am contemplating the New Year. My new Franklin Covey compact planner is sitting here all neat and clean, just itching for me to write in it, but before I begin I wanted to think about my goals for the New Year. You see, 2007 was an okay year for me. I have grown quite a bit over the last year and am learning and seeing the direction that God is leading me in, which is quite exciting. 2008, however, is the year that I am going to begin to see those dreams take shape and that is truly scary and wonderfully exciting in its own way. What are my goals for 2008?

1. To write a devotion for moms 3 to 5 days/week. These devotions will become the foundation for a book that God has placed on my heart. Yes, this is a big step for me, but I believe that God is going to equip me. If He calls you, then He will equip you, if you only believe.

2. To move more from writing articles that simply fill space on someone else's website (even though they make me money and I enjoy it most of the time) to writing meaningful articles that are meaningful and give me satisfaction for knowing that I am doing what I am supposed to do. Not sure what direction that is going to be in yet, but am excited to see what God has planned for me.

3. To live every day with purpose and in God's will. This is a big one, but even if I mess up, I get to start over the next day. Isn't God good?

4. To work more on teaching my children through my actions about God's love and mercy. I am a yeller and I got it quite honestly from my mom, who was also a yeller. That is no excuse, however, so I am going to work on showing them God's love through not yelling and not losing it quite as often.

5. To be a better helpmate for my husband. I am opinionated, loud-mouthed, and a bit pushy sometimes, but I want to begin to let him take the reins more, especially with the kids. This is difficult when he works so much, but it can be done if we can learn to balance.

6. To do my best at everything I do. I am a procrastinator, but I want to move away from that habit into a new one where I actually do things when I say I am going to. This is a lifelong habit of mine, but with God's help, I can get it done.

7. To be healthier. I am not going to say that I am going to lose weight or exercise or blah, blah, blah, because I have said it every single year. If I can just eat healthier and exercise every once in a while in 2008, surely it would make a difference. Won't it?

A New Year is a time to think back on what God has done for you in the last year and to evaluate where you feel that He is leading you in the next year. I am sure that God has all sorts of things in mind for me (and you!) in the next year. I only want to handle them in the way that He would have me to do. What are some of your goals for the next year? To read another post on this, visit Marybeth at www.marybethwhalen.com. She blesses me every single time I visit!

On the personal front, KA went to the doctor today and had some of the stitches taken out of her face. She looks so much better and the doctor said he didn't have to see her again if everything looks fine when she is through healing! Praise God! He is soooooo good! It could have been so much worse. I just thank Him for His protection over her and His awesome healing. What a great way to begin a New Year! Me and the hubby are going to a friend's house tonight for a party, so I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed New Year!

Smiles and Loves! Janis

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think it is wonderful that you setting goals and stepping out to pursue things that God has laid on your heart!

Hadias said...

I love your book review blog and I love this one as well.

I think the devotionals for moms will be a great success. And your goals to overcome using yelling as an immediate viable option is wonderful.This is BIG.

The goal to allow your husband to take the reins will change the course of your marraige beyond what you can even imagine.I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

If you ever get a chance read my post "18 Ways to Glorify Your Husband in 2008". I hope that it can be helpful.

Thank you again for visiting my blog.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online