Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Vase of Many Colors by Rachel Thoene and Catching Up


I was sent Rachel Thoene's The Vase of Many Colors to review here on my blog and was surprised to find that it was a children's book. Since I happen to have three of those little critters of my own, I was also very excited to review a book that I could share with them. This book ranks right up there with Love You Forever, which has a special place on my bookshelf that is now shared by The Vase of Many Colors. Sometimes children's books need to have a meaning and this one is so full of the meaning of life and motherhood that I will most likely be buying it for shower gifts. It is a children's book, but it is also for moms, which is why it is such a great book to read with your children.


About this Book:


In the very small house, on the very grand hill, in the very small town author Rachel Thoene – daughter of veteran bestsellers Bodie and Brock Thoene - masterfully explores the captivating notions of forgiveness and grace in The Vase of Many Colors. This beautifully written and colorfully illustrated family tale peeks into the world of the very bouncy girl and her old, crooked grandmother. A world where rainbows appear on the walls and simple flower-gathering is a nightly ritual.


And where broken things are mended with the gentle breath of love to become a masterpiece for all generations to enjoy.


In a world where broken things are tossed aside with ease, Rachel Thoene’s story is a captivating reminder of the power of forgiveness and grace to mend life’s cracks and create a Vase of Many Colors in you.


About Rachel:


Rachel knows what it’s like to pick up broken pieces. As a site administrator at two alternative schools for at-risk students in an urban school district in Sacramento, California, she helps students put the pieces of their broken lives back together and discover success where there was only self doubt. As a mother, she finds new beauty in the hearts of her two children, Ian and Jessie. “Every person we come into contact with has the potential to be a beautiful and valuable work of art,” Rachel says. The inspiration for the story began as an email to a friend who was struggling with how to relate to her teenage son. When the story further developed, Rachel realized that the underlying message appealed to the experiences of adults and children alike.

To purchase this book for yourself or for a gift for a special mother that you know, click here.


Don't forget to comment on the Boo, Humbug! post to win a copy of the book. Scroll down for that post!

_____________________________________________________________________


What is going on with my world? WOW, has it ever been busy lately in our household! From moving our church across town to school to working to taking care of house and children to being me, it has been a busy last six weeks or so. The good news is that we have two Sundays under our belt at the new building and that is a huge relief to me. School (for me) is out for the holidays in five more weeks, which will be nice. Work has settled some. I am just not taking as many clients or jobs on right now, so that has made it easier and less stressful.


I am finding that I cannot do it all, even though I would like to. By categorizing things and placing a priority on what I need to get done, I am feeling better about myself and my workload. It has been two months of adjustment, but I am happy to say that I am finally starting to get into the rhythm-until something else jumps in, of course.


My weight is weighing on me right now. I am not healthy and that is scary to me. In fact, my weight is keeping me from the doctor, simply because I don't want to get on the scale and see how much I have let myself go. That is one area that I MUST work on next, but sometimes I just don't feel that I know where to start. I will do good for a while and then I fall off the wagon. I want to be healthy and feel better physically and mentally.


Anyways, that is all that is running through my head this morning. What is going on with you? I have missed visiting blogs, but hopefully that will get better as well.


Smiles and Loves! Janis

1 comment:

Jen said...

It looks like a really cute book, I'll have to look for it for my kiddos.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online