Monday, June 4, 2007

Amish Thoughts

Does anyone else read those Amish fictional books and wish you were Amish? Their lives seem so much less hurried and stressful than mine. For example, I am sure that Ruth Yoder does not work on her computer for hours at a time, only to find that they client has changed the direction of the project. She cleans her house, cooks dinner, and makes her quilts in relative calmness and peacefulness.

Maybe it is my fault that I don't have that calmness and peacefulness. Doesn't God say that we can have peace that passes understanding? Here is what He says in Philippians 4:7

7And God's peace [shall be yours, that [a]tranquil state of a
soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing
from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is,
that peace] which transcends all understanding shall [b]garrison
and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

What does this mean to be? Here is the Janis-phrase of the verse.

God's peace is yours, Janis. He gives you a tranquil state
of mind through your salvation. You don't have to fear nothing
from God and you can be content with whatever comes your way
because you can rest secured in my love. This peace that I give
you, Janis, is beyond all your understanding and it will
stand firm against anything else in your heart and mind.

Okay, God, when you put it that way, I guess I can stop my planning for a move to Amish country. You made me just the way I am. Even with cranky clients, arguing children, demanding pets, and all. You know what I need and can give me peace inside, no matter what is going on outside.
Thanks for showing me that, today, Lord. You know exactly what I need and when I need it. You are awesome!
Smiles and Loves! Janis

6 comments:

amyanne said...

Yes, those books always make me long for their ways, that seem so much simpler and slower and more family driven.

Grass is always greener. :)

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I love those Amish fiction books by Beverly Lewis & Wanda Brunstetter.

But, the trade offs? Milking cows at 4 am? Marrying at 17? Never going shopping or looking at a new skirtini to wear?

Nah. I like my life.

Remember God fitted YOU for your LIFE and put you there for a reason. :)

Deena said...

As I read my way through the Restoration series by Terri Blackstock...I find myself thinking that being Amish in situations like those might not be half bad:-)

Miss Paula said...

I have an Amish friend in PA and have been to her house for dinner. I would say that they are a friendly bunch and they want to know about us as much as we do them. Just talk to them and they will talk with you, if they know English.

Oh, I commented on their mirror and they said they had to get their hair straight!! Women, we're all the same!!!

Bunny Trails said...

While I haven't read those books, I know exactly what you mean. I'm forever wishing I had a simpler life. I posted some recent journaling I found. While my take is from a different perspective, I think your post is a lovely addition to my own thoughts (for me anyway!).

Thanks and God bless!
Dianne :-)
http://bunny-trails.blogspot.com/2007/06/is-living-simply-answer.html

Christine said...

I read one of Wanda's books recently and thought the same thing. I'd love to be simpler and live off the land. Maybe someday we can live on a farm!! But, yes, God's peace will come no matter where we are if we seek it.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online