Monday, May 14, 2007

Mommy Monday-Taking Care of Yourself

If you are like most women, then you do not take very good care of yourself. You wait until you are about dead before going to the doctor, you do not exercise as you should, and you do not take time for yourself as you should. You spend a great deal of your time taking care of your husband, children, parents, and friends, rather than yourself. If you don't take care of yourself, who will? This is something that I am having to learn right now. Why? Because my health is not the greatest. I am overweight and out of shape-not to mention that I am constantly getting illnesses lately-from my bladder infection a few weeks ago to strep throat today. This is clearly a wake-up call for me. I don't want to be sick and not feeling well all of the time. I am not meant to live a life feeling tired and uninspired. That is why I am going to make some changes-starting with a doctor visit to get a check-up. I have to take care of myself, because if I don't, then who will?

What do you do to take care of yourself? Do you take care of yourself? If not, then it is definitely something that you need to think about.

Smiles and Loves! Janis

9 comments:

Deena said...

AMEN! I tend to put everyone else's needs ahead of mine to the point of exhaustion...and then I'm no good to anyone.

I reviewed three books to make mom's life easier, without a lot of reading...check'em out!

Bunny Trails said...

I'm with both of you - not so great at taking care of me. Although I joined Curves awhile back and have done a decent job of getting myself there. My big goal, now that it's warmer, is to drink MORE water and LESS Dr Pepper. That, in and of itself, will do a LOT for me.

Dianne :D

Denise said...

Praying for you sweet one.

julie said...

I made this same decision lately. I have started losing a few pounds and have made a doctors appointment for a full check up.

Us mom's are really bad at taking care of ourselves. We all need to be better.

A Life Inspired said...

Hi Janis! You post about a common malady for women. God taught me this lesson a year ago this month. It's like the frog in the boiling water; it didn't start out this way, but then one day, you find yourself in such hot water and poor health.

I now eat better, making nutritious choices (reading labels); walk/run approx. 14 miles a week, have a goal to do 50 push-ups, sits-ups, and squats 3x/week, and light weights 3x week. For me, the hardest step is the first. I also have an accountabilty partner for this commitment, and we ask each other the hard questions.

Good luck! God wants you to succeed even more than you do!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I know if I don't take care of myself, then I will have nothing left to give my children or husband.

I take care of me by working out 5 days a week (I drop one kid off at school and the other one goes to the gym daycare), reading my scriptures, I try to eat healthy, I enjoy reading and I blog :) !!

Julie said...

Oh, sweet Janis...I hope your throat improves quickly!

I take care of myself by walking most every day...over 2 miles. I started doing it over 20 years ago and just love it! I tend to get cranky if I don't walk regularly. LOL

And on Mother's Day I absolutely indulged myself with a day at the beach.

Erna said...

Janis, thanks for sharing about taking care of ourselves. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

I don't do too badly when it comes to taking care of the physical needs and seeing my doctor. I've been better at taking some time to enjoy things I like in the evening when my girls are in bed. The exercise thing . . . I have to work on. However, now that the weather is nice I'll be taking some more walks with my girls outside.

Thanks for encouraging all of us to take care of ourselves too.

Gina said...

I came over from CFBA! I used to balance taking care of me with taking care of kids, until I started homeschooling three years ago. Then I couldn't fit exercising in. I made a commitment to it early this year and started out slow, now I'm doing something almost everyday and I'm feeling great. I've also taken time for "real" writing time once or twice a week!

I invite you over to Writer...Interrupted were moms like you are learning to balance their lives!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online