Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Book Review-Sylvia Bambola

Every once in a while, I come across a new author (at least to me) that really makes me think. Sylvia Bambola is one of those authors. She is not really a NEW author as far as writing, but her name and her books are new to me. I have read two of her books and they both have made me think. I love Christian fiction, but there is a difference between books that make you think and those that just give you a wonderful story.

Refiner's Fire will make you think. It is about some Christians who are trying to serve God behind the Iron Curtain. It is fictional, but the characters have depth and they really touched me. It made me realize how lucky we are to live in a country where we can worship God without having to worry about soldiers busting in to put us in prison or worse. I just really liked this book.

Return to Appleton is a completely different book. It is about a daughter who is trying to make peace with her mother and the people she grew up with. It tackles some environmental issues, which are not normal book subjects.

Sylvia Bambola tackles different subjects than I have previously read about. That is what I like about her books. She is not afraid to give you a wonderful story woven in with issues that are important. What could be better than that?

I have a few more of hers to read. I am really looking forward to seeing what they are about as well. What have you read lately? Any new authors (to you or new to writing) that you have really enjoyed? Share them with me!

Smiles and Loves! Janis

8 comments:

Denise said...

Both books sound wonderful my friend, thanks for the review.

Erna said...

Sounds very interesting. I just finished reading a book I won from a blog by Lisa Samson titled, "Straight Up." There were several points that really made me think. Her words are rich and descriptive. I was constantly wondering how the story would end. It made me pause to think in several spots, even caused me to bring some things to the Lord in prayer.

Laurel Wreath said...

Hmmm. more books to add to my growing list.

Thanks for the review.

Susanne said...

I've never heard of this author before but those both sound like very interesting books.

Julie said...

I WISH I had time to read more, Janis. I'm working on the One Year Bible and an occasional writer's book.

Sadly, that's it. All of my wonderful blogging friends encourage me to make time to read.

Blessings!

Denise said...

Hope you are ok, missing you my friend.

jenny said...

I have not read much Christian fiction, but I have finished two recently---The first was "And the Shofar Blew" by Francine Rivers," and the other is "All the Way Home" by Ann Tatlock. Two very different kinds of "Christian" fiction!

The first is an author beloved to many, but new to me. Francine Rivers' book was inside the minds of Christians, from page one. We knew God was there and the peope were totally God-minded. I really enjoyed it, and my friends and I are starting a book club with this one book.

The second book I got at the library, and just picked it up because of the "Christian" sticker on the spine. This book has a lot of history in it, and in the end, the main character is finding God. I enjoyed it, but it was a differnt experience!

I also just read "To Kill a Mockingbird," which was great. I had Never read it, and as an adult now, it was easy to read and a page-turner.

Deena said...

I have TONS to recommend to you...pop by The Bookshelf and take a Peek...

http://deenasbooks.blogspot.com

See you there!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online