Friday, March 16, 2007

Impacting Others



"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 13:14

Today, I went to the cemetery. Actually, two cemeteries. I went to leave flowers at the grave of my best friend, Kelly. She was 20 when she passed away on March 17, 1992. I visited the graves of my grandmother, grandfather, great-grandmother, and great-grandfather, as well as my nephew's grave and my father-in-law's grave. As I was walking through the cemetery, looking at the headstones, I began to think, "Each person here was important to someone. They each had an influence and impact on how someone else think, feels, and acts."

That is a deep thought, but everyone that you come into contact with has an influence on you in some way, either good or bad. You are the sum of all your parts and many of your parts were made and influenced by the people in your life. This is a scary thought, in some ways, because you want to influence people positively and we all have bad days when we are not such a good influence. Each person that I have loved and lost have made some sort of impact upon me and how I think and feel.

What kind of impact do you make on others? I want to make a significant impact on them-especially concerning their relationship with God. I want them to look at God through me and want to have a relationship with Him. I want them to feel His love and His mercy through me. I cannot do this without Him. HE IS LOVE. HE IS MERCY. I cannot do it under my own power and neither can you.

If you have not made the impact that you would like to on the people closest to you, it is not too late. God gives us a new beginning every morning. It's a good thing, too! I am a slow learner!

Smiles and Loves! Janis

2 comments:

jenny said...

I sometimes regret the impact I have on others. Then, it's too late to take it back! But that will spur me on to better things. I think for the most part, I remember the good of others once they're gone. There is no use reflecting on the bad. And as I work on a scrapbook project of my ancestors--or even those still around today----I remember the good influences they gave to me. It always makes me think how I am sum of all the influences I have had.
"His mercies never come to an end---they are new every morning!" This song came to mind. yea! Thank goodness I can believe it. You're right---every day is new!

Cyndi said...

First of all, that is so sweet that you went to put flowers on your friend's grave. It's interesting the emotions that being in a cemetary brings, isn't it? I visited my grandfather's grave a few months ago and had time to really think of our time in these earthly tents. You're right, we have a new chance each day. Since "the power of life and death is in the tongue." We can still speak life into others' lives today!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online