Friday, February 9, 2007

Where I Am From...

I am from playing with pine needles, making exotic forts and castles to slay dragons and play princess in.

I am from picking pecans, snapping beans, and shucking corn while enjoying the company of my grandmothers during a summer afternoon.

I am from a Baptist church, with saints running the aisles, praising God with no thought of self-consciousness or pride.

I am from church lunches, deviled eggs, pecan pies, banana pudding, and fried chicken in a box. From eating with paper plates and plastic forks that would break when you were too rough.

I am from birthday parties, full of homemade cake and ice cream in little cups that you eat with wooden spoons. I am from pin the tail on the donkey, dropping clothespins in a jar, and hopscotch.

I am from selling Girl Scout cookies so that I could go to camp on the mountain every year. I am from taking great pride in getting patches that would fill my little vest.

I am from spending hours in the library, reading about Betsy Ross, the Bobbsey Twins, and Nancy Drew. I am from believing that you can be anything, because my teachers told me so.

I am from hours spent on the phone, talking with friends, and going to the Chickamauga Park to eat Crazy Bread with friends.

I am from a loving family, full of ups and downs, but always there for each other. I am from deaths, some tragic and some expected, but always bouncing back and realizing how much my family means to me.

I am from a loving God, who never leaves me or forsakes me, no matter where I am from.

This contest is sponsored by my friend at Owlhaven. Here is the link if you are interested in the contest. http://owlhaven.wordpress.com/

7 comments:

jenny said...

That was so lovely!! I immediately wanted to think about where I am from, too. Sounds like you and I are from a lot of the same things, same kind of memories. I'm going to check out that website for the contest.

julie said...

You did a great job. That was fun to read.

Cyndi said...

I loved reading this!

Barb said...

I love this meme that's going around. It's so lovely, the way everyone seems to just float back to their childhoods. Yours is lovely and some of it brings back a lot of memories to me.

Thank you so much for visiting A Chelsea Morning. I'm sorry it took me a few days to get over here but I'm up to my elbows in cleaning and wedding planning. I do appreciate your visit and hope you'll stop by again soon.

owlhaven said...

This was great!!!

Thanks for sharing

Mary, mom to many

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Great job Janis :) I learned alot about you!

Christine said...

That was so simple and sweet. I could practically see and smell where you're from. Beautiful!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online