Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Getting Back To The Important Things

How easy it is to lose your focus! I am not very self-disciplined. That is something that I am really trying to work on, but it is soooo hard! Self-discipline is essential, though, to live a life that is pleasing to God. Self-discipline is crucifying to the flesh and this is why it is so very difficult for us to be disciplined in our life.

Self-discipline is defined as "correction or regulation of oneself for the sake of improvement" is the Merriam-Webster dictionary. What does this mean to me and you? It means to correct or regulate (control) your own body and mind for the sake of improving ourselves. How much self-discipline do you have? I am not just talking about food or overt sins. I am talking about spending time with Him. I am talking about doing His will. Do you regularly go to the Lord in prayer for both the small and big things? Do you spend time with Him everyday? I hope that you do, but I don't.

God desires to spend time with us each and every day. This is something that I have posted about before, but I keep failing to spend that time with Him. What do I get from spending time with Him regularly? The list is endless! Here are just a few of the things that I get from spending regular time in the Word and with Him in prayer...

- Joy

"You will show me the path of life;In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Psalm 16:11

-Righteousness (free from guilt or sin)

"He shall pray to God, and He will delight in him,He shall see His face with joy, For He restores to man His righteousness." Job 33:26

-Strength

"God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect." 2 Samuel 22:33

-Peace

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Don't you want these things? I do. I want to live in joy, righteousness, strength, and peace. I don't want to live on the roller coaster of ups and downs. I want to be balanced in Him and through Him. By spending time with Him each and every day in both prayer and in His Word, then I will be well on my way to finding my balance. That is what I want. How about you?

Smiles and Loves! Janis

1 comment:

Erna said...

I love the passages you shared and the ways we benefit from God's Word. I have always been one to spend time in God's Word but I have also hit the patches where I didn't for a span of time. I took my eyes off of Him and went along my way. I find getting back into it at first is an issue of discipline and then it becomes a necessity for me. I spend most nights in the Word but there are some nights I miss b/c I fell asleep (was in sleepy state, thought I should read my Bible, and then ended up driftinf off to sleep). I know many who say it is essential to START my day in the Word but that just doesn't work for me. Night works well but I do devotions after breakfast, which helps me set my thoughts on Him. It's often very simple devotions but the Truth is the Truth whether shared on a child-like level or when in the Word. I find that when I'm in the Word, I am a more patient and kind Mom. I try to make it my only priority and then if other things like blogging, reading, etc. fit in then so be it. I need stillness in His Word and that wouldn't happen in the mornings around here. (Sorry to get so long winded. You know what helps me when I get sidetracked in blog world??? A set curfew on the computer . . . it turns off on its own and I still have time to read. The computer is what can take away my time so easily on the quiet evenings that I have.)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online