Monday, January 1, 2007

Dreams and Goals for 2007


I have already posted about my work goals for the year, but I haven't talked much about my goals for my personal life and for my family life. I learned in 2006 that if I didn't stay in the Word, that my focus would remove from God and I would begin failing Him in numerous ways. This has taken me a long time to realize, but my mood, my faith, and my love for others is directly impacted by whether I spend that time with God each day. Now, this may be something that you realized when you were 10, but I am a slow learner! Therefore, I have to make my Bible study and time with God a priority in my life for 2007. How am I going to do this? By putting it in my schedule every day. Some people may think that scheduling God into your life is wrong, but in my case, this is what I have to do to get my life on the right track as far as God and my relationship with Him.

Another thing that I learned from 2006 is that if I don't take care of myself, who will take care of me? Of course, God takes care of me and gives me everything that I need and more, but He expects me to take care of this body that He has given me as well. This is very difficult for me because I am a nurturer and encourager, who nurtures and encourages everyone around me while I put myself down in my mind and don't take time for myself. That has to change so that I can be and do all that God has for me. This means that it is time to change eating habits and exercise habits. I weigh ALOT! While I don't want to lose weight because I feel that I look bad, I do want to be healthier so that I can do anything that I want to do or that God wants me to. That includes mission trips and anything else that God has for me. So, instead of saying that I am going to lose weight, I am going to say that I am going to eat healthier and feed my family healthier and exercise regularly. I will add exercise to my schedule, too.

I know that God wants me to be the best mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, and person that I can be. By making these changes in my life, then I will be well on my way. What are your dreams and goals for 2007?

13 comments:

Laurel Wreath said...

Janis, I like what you said "my mood, my faith, and my love for others is directly impacted by whether I spend that time with God each day", this happens to me also. I would wake up one day, be mad at the world, things are not going right, I am overwhelmed and I think what is going on? And then I hear the quiet still voice, and he says "come spend time". And I have one of those "doh" moments, when I realize "I have not spent time in the world" that is why!!

Good luck with your goals. I think scheduling time with God is a great idea.

Many Blessings.

karen said...

I just blogged about my goals for the year! I think scheduling in prayer and reading time is sometimes essential to keep that commitment going.

jipmeister said...

I think I've realized the same thing this past year - that I stray far and fast the longer I am out of the Word - more than any Bible study that I may be involved in - it has to be on a more personal level.

I too have so many things and people pulling for my attention so that tends to be my big distraction

Erna said...

I wholeheartedly agree that whether or not I spend time with the Lord affects, "my mood, my faith, and my love for others . . " You certainly hit the nail on the head. :0) I know how my time correlates to how I treat those around me.

Funny how mothers don't always take the time they need to find balance in their lives. I'm guilty. Yet, starting a blog this year is part of that "time to self."

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Janis,
I'm with you on the scheduling thing! It's the only thing that works for me!

God bless you and your family in this wonderful New Year!

ChupieandJ'smama said...

You and I sound like we have alot of the same goals for 2007. I know that I need to make more time for Him. I wish you a blessed year for you and your family!

eph2810 said...

You said that 'scheduling time with God is wrong' - I don't think it is wrong. We sometimes get so sidetracked by our daily live, that there is not time for Him. He want us to spend time with Him - that is why we have that tugging in our heart...I know that I have to make the conscious choice every single day and 'battle' for the time with Him.
I think living healthier physically and spiritually is a great goal to have.
I always wanted to do mission trips, but have not have had the 'guts' yet to do.
I pray that God will tug your heart every single day to spend time with Him.
Happy New Year, Janis

MiPa said...

Oh I so agree that the amount of time I spend with God impacts how I am in the rest of my life. Praying for you as you pursue God and your dreams.

Chris said...

Very encouraging post. I feel time with the Lord has to be scheduled just like we do everything else.

Blessings to you in 2007!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Susanne said...

"I do want to be healthier so that I can do anything that I want to do or that God wants me to..So, instead of saying that I am going to lose weight, I am going to say that I am going to eat healthier and feed my family healthier and exercise regularly." That is excellent. A goal that is much more encouraging and better for you all around!

Thanks for coming by my place today and leaving a comment. Happy New Year to you!

Ame said...

thank you for visiting and for your comments ;)

i think that putting God in your schedule is a great idea. He wired us all differently, and when you work well on a schedule, then scheduling Him in is the way He wired you ;)

there is a great book i just read, For Women Only - i linked to it here
http://amexpression.blogspot.com/2006/12/great-investment.html

- it may encourage you as you've set some goals that it already recommends - that always makes me feel great when i "get it" before someone else tells me or before i read it ;)

may you find this time next year that setting your goals was not only worth it, but also very productive!!!

Pamela said...

Making time with God and Bible study a priority is a wonderful goal! We all can take this meaningful advice as it does have a direct impact on how face our challenges and reach out to those in need.

You are a lovely, thoughtful encourager! I love your agenda!

I also think your new blog name is extremely cute and clever! :)

jenny said...

Thanks for commenting on my friday's feast. My goals for the year are a lot like yours---more time in God's word, exercising and eating more healthfully. I just realized you commented on that post of mine! I don't know how old your kids are, but mine are old enough I don't have any excuse not to take the time for me to read the Bible and exercise a little bit. I want to encourage you to not quit! we're both going to step our way through this year and not get upset over minor setbacks and mess-ups. Even if it is not a Bible "study" every day, we can read a chapter. Bless you!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online