Saturday, January 27, 2007

Baking Bread

My friend, Karen, bakes her own whole wheat bread and it is soooo yummy! I have been secretly envious of this fact for quite a while, because it is so much healthier and it tastes so much better than store-bought bread. I kept telling myself that I just didn't have the time to grind the wheat berries and make bread every week. I couldn't afford the wheat mill and the top of the line mixer, either. Then, the lightbulb went on. I could work into grinding my own wheat and making my own bread. Right now, I can't afford the mill, so I bought organic whole wheat flour to get started and I ordered the other supplies from Breadbeckers. I made homemade tortillas last night with my new flour and they were sooooooo good. I was very proud. Now, I have two loaves of bread rising for the second time. YEAH me!

My family will take some time to get used to eating healthier. I will, too. However, I think that it is important that we take care of our bodies. If I don't take care of my body and my family to the best of my ability, then am I honoring God? I think not. I want to honor Him in everything I do-even in taking care of my home and family. Yes, I work at home and have projects and clients that demand attention, but my first priority should be taking care of my family. Here is how I am beginning. I am going to post it so that I am more accountable.

The baking bread is the first thing. It is to help my family eat healthier, so that we are in the best health possible so we can physically do what God asks us to do. This includes going on mission trips or just going visiting the lost. This is the beginning of our health changes.

My husband works very hard six days a week, usually. I have been allowing him to get the kids up, get them dressed, and get them to school while I sleep. Although this is working for me, it is not working for my husband and the older kids. My husband is stressed because they are ready to go and he isn't (he is not a morning person). Then the husband gets ill at the kids and the kids go to school ill. I can help everyone's day begin much better simply by getting up and helping them get ready. This is my second change to my life.

Time management is a huge issue for me. I am a procrastinator. I have set a schedule on my computer for me to work every day. This includes the days that I have Bible study, do Bible study, and our other weekly activities. I know that sometimes I will have something crop up to mess up that schedule, but I hope to stick pretty close to it.

Anyways, that is all for today. I am letting God "knead" me as I knead the bread today. He is still working on me!

Smiles and Loves! Janis

Update later in the evening: Bread turned out GREAT! I am so proud!

9 comments:

lrlwreath said...

First off I can already smell the bread baking, this post made me hungry =) And what a awesome application, of "working your way into it".

Time management is hit and miss in marriage. Finding out what works and what does not work, takes trial and error and lots of patience.

Blessings.

Karen said...

Yay You!!! I'm so proud of you! I've been neglecting the bread around here, so I've got to get my act together again. I've also got to go to the Beckers sometime in the next few weeks, so if you need anything, lt me know!

Sissy B. said...

I loved reading this..it is those little victories that keep us moving forward!! Believing one day at a time that God will take us places we feel we are ill equipped to go...I too deal with time management issues ;)

julie said...

Wow, I may have to try making my own bread! You inspired me.

Christine said...

I love that you're letting God "knead" you.

I need to get with you on the getting up earlier thing. I often will let Jason get up with the kids- he so sweet to do that since I'm pregnant- but I need to be up and help start their day with a pleasant mommy helping them!

Great post!

Lisa said...

Homemade tortillas! I am way impressed! My mom would make homemade bread when I was growing up and I have to tell you it is one of my favorite memories. Of course, the real butter slathered on top didn't make it quite as healthy as could be...

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Janis,
I'm posting something on WFMW tomorrow on whole wheat bread. I'm an addict. SOOO much better. Good for you for cooking healthier. I just admitted to my DH that if I had Oreos in the house, I'd eat a column. Good thing I don't!

Thank you as always for your sweet encouragement!!!

Mommy Dearest said...

When I first wanted to make homemade bread, I couldn't buy all the equipment at first so I bought the wheat and a friend ground it for me until I could get my own mill.

I just noticed you're from GA, too (the Bread Beckers comment caught my eye).

Susanne said...

Yum! Homemade bread. I'm afraid I would eat way too much of it hot and fresh from the oven which would then bump it into the unhealthy catagory anyway. :v{

"I'm letting God knead me..." That statement made me smile as I have often felt "kneaded" by God. But something good always comes out in the end!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online